Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Note to Self: Define

I've thought a lot about how I should define myself when I'm asked (by the type of person who asks such questions), "how do you define yourself?". I think a deep question like that merits a response that's as well thought out as the plans of the inquisitor - the insightful intellectual who conjured the emotion within their soul to create such a conundrum just to keep the simple folk in check.
I was flipping through one of those music-flipper things (I think that's the technical term) that you see in old diners. This one was actually in one of the Jackson Hole burger chains in the city, but it's kind of set up like a diner. It was in this home of the 7-oz burger where I might have reached my most profound moment of self-realization. It was as if I had been squatting alone in utter darkness and someone had suddenly turned on a very bright light. I was flipping through the music flipper and I spotted the music title that said it all...the lyric that would define ME. Just below "Oops I did it Again" and "She Bangs" was the greatest Queen title of them all, "I'm in Love with My Car".
I was literally stunned by the profundity and it's relevance to my existence. I could barely move or stop looking at the title as I sat in this rustic mid-town burger joint - alone - eating really good pickles.
The amazing thing is I don't even know Freddy Mercury - and of course I mean that in the spiritual sense since he's dead; but I didn't know him when he was alive either. The real quandary here is (aside from me hating the world quandary and then using it so freely) that I didn't even own a car at that moment. So, HOW could I have been in love with my car? Ah! But that's the point, isn't it.

No comments: